cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnBase SQL Database Migration/Upgrade Process (Version 2008 R2 SP3 to latest supported verison)

Christopher_Sny
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Good morning, teammates!  We are working on upgrading our OnBase environments to version 18.0.1.xx.  Being the OnBase Administrator for my company, I've upgraded all our servers to Windows 2016, SQL drivers, and core modules to version 18.0.1.xx.  As I'm completing the rest of the modules and end client upgrades, my Database team will be starting our SQL servers soon.

We are currently on 2008 R2 SP3 and looking to upgrade to SQL 2017.  My Database team is looking for a migration/upgrade step by step guide to perform this upgrade and migration to new servers.  Since we don't OWN of databases, we would like to get best practices, how to(s), and gotchas to create a migration plan.

We are concerned about licensing, and connections after we move them.  I've rerun RecreateDBUsers tool before in our DR environment when the restore of SQL Prod would allow anyone in including the built in accounts.

Thanks again!

Chris

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Christopher,

Outside of running RecreateDBUsers on your new database server and making sure that your ODBC drivers have been updated, there aren't any OnBase specific steps related to upgrading SQL Server. I'd recommend following Microsoft's guidance on upgrading to SQL Server 2017 and, of course, testing the process before performing the upgrade in production.

Hope that helps,

Ansley

View answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Christopher,

Outside of running RecreateDBUsers on your new database server and making sure that your ODBC drivers have been updated, there aren't any OnBase specific steps related to upgrading SQL Server. I'd recommend following Microsoft's guidance on upgrading to SQL Server 2017 and, of course, testing the process before performing the upgrade in production.

Hope that helps,

Ansley