cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

onbase and large audio and video files

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Does anyone have any experience with how OnBase handles really large audio or video files?  We have some clients thinking about meeting minutes that could be 2-2.5 hrs of audio and other clients thinking about video over the same time frame (basically a full length movie).  I'm sure we are talking about 5-10GB or more for 1 file.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Just to get current, does this limitation still apply in v15 as of today?

View answer in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

To add to T. Cupp's recommendation, the compression often yields a dramatic size change with little or no loss of human perceivable quality. I have taken a 500Mb 60min AVI (team meeting) and ended up with a 22Mb MP4 file by simply switching to mp3 128kbps audio and reducing the resolution from 1080p to 480p.

Joe_Pineda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

These answers are all good information. Thanks guys. However, Tom, your original question described files that could be over 2 GB, well over 2GB in the case of video.

I would re-think my approach to handling these files,  but definitely  lean towards splitting them. Depending on the volume of files you're talking about, and how often they will be accessed, you could simply create some document or form that you keep in OnBase, and that references them via a link to the actual file on a sever somewhere. I know that may seem convoluted to some, but since OnBase does not really offer large file support, you may have to get pretty creative to keep info about these files in OB.

Mike_Saville
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Another way to possibly work this issue is to look at utilizing a media server that can stream the video to the workstations.  If you store the files in OnBase or on a file server somewhere, the whole file needs to be transferred to the workstation before you can begin playing.  If you use a media server, then you can start streaming right away.  You could use a combination of the media server and e-forms that contain a hyperlink to the video on the media server.  That way you can have network friendly stream and not have to worry about storage limitations.

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Thanks for the responses guys.  I just told my client that OnBase can't handle 2GB files.  Everything else would have to be looked at separately.  It is a good idea to compress and I will suggest this.  Unfortunately, I don't know if that is even an option for certain departments.  For example: the departments that are really interested are the Sherrif (police video) and Legal Services (video depositions\trials, etc...) and there might be legal implications to altering the video - even as far a compression.  So, this will have to go above me.  Also, I don't think we need to do video streaming with OnBase.  Right now we are using it as an archive tool.  I suspect video streaming would be a whole different project with a whole different budget.  

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hold on, I don't know how I missed this.  Per Brad Phillips, if it is a brand new v 13 environment we could have all the int columns changed to big int.  We are just getting ready to upgrade to v13, does this count as new?  I was assuming not, but maybe I shouldn't assume.  Could we implement bigint as part of the upgrade?  Even if we can, has anyone done this before - I hate being the guinea pig?...

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.