cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

onbase and large audio and video files

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Does anyone have any experience with how OnBase handles really large audio or video files?  We have some clients thinking about meeting minutes that could be 2-2.5 hrs of audio and other clients thinking about video over the same time frame (basically a full length movie).  I'm sure we are talking about 5-10GB or more for 1 file.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Just to get current, does this limitation still apply in v15 as of today?

View answer in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Sean_Storch
Employee
Employee

Hey Tom,

Even if the database column was updated to be a bigint the Windows I/O OnBase uses is limited by the 2gb limit.

If you are interested in using files larger then two gigabytes I recommend contacting your first line of support and being added to SCR 166753. This SCR was created to add large file support to OnBase.

Thanks,

Sean

John_Anderson4
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I think they are in the process of updating some things to work with 64-bit databases, but I don't think the filesize column in hsi.itemdatapage is one of them yet, as far as I know. I just looked in a V13 database and it's still an int.

Brad_Phillips
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

To whom it may concern,

When we say 32-bit and 64-bit OnBase, we're talking about the use of INT or BIGINT in the database.  This is all or nothing in the database.  Either the database uses all INT, or all BIGINT.  There is no mixing of datatypes, or else there can be issues with the software.  And the OnBase database used INT exclusively until version 13.

So, the only way a solution can have all BIGINT columns is one of two things:

1.  It is a brand new environment built on version 13.

2.  The customer's environment has hit a limitation on a MAXNUMKEY, like ITEMNUM.  In which case, contact your first line of support.

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Thanks guys I'll piggy back on the scr when I get a minute....

Thomas_Cupp
Employee
Employee

Hi Tom,

Another thing to consider is to use a tool such as Handbrake to compress the videos into a smaller format using the m4v file type.  I use this tool a lot to help me to compress videos. This tool will allow you to select how much compression to use as well as reduce the dimensions of the video.  I would imagine that it's not necessary, in this case, to have the videos stored as 1080 or even 720 resolution.  Likely you could get away with a much smaller video.

Once the files are compressed you could then store the smaller files in OnBase, likely without issue.

I hope that helps as a possible work around.

Thanks

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.