cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnBase 17 Unity Script logging control?

Alex_French
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I know OnBase 17 (maybe 16?) introduces a nifty feature where a developer can toggle logging levels for individual Unity Scripts in the OnBase Studio GUI.

Most of our existing dozens of Unity Scripts use libraries that look at a Unity Configuration Item and set the Diagnostics Level accordingly, making it easy to ramp up or down logging for a whole solution set of scripts.  It is definitely less granular than the new per-script toggling option.

In the long run we might simplify and rely on the built-in feature, we might make our libraries smarter, we might use the new feature for new solutions but not retrofit older ones, anything is on the table.  But in the short run, we just need to know what is the minimum amount of work that will let us know what logging we're going to get and how to adjust it, as part of upgrading from OnBase 15 to OnBase 17.

Can anyone point me to one place that would summarize how the new feature works and how it would interact with the traditional way of setting the level programmatically?

-SDK?  (hint: the section "Diagnostics Logging For Unity Scripts" is another new feature I'm glad to know about, but it isn't this)

-MRG?  (the Studio MRG tells me about the dialog box for setting a default level, but it doesn't tell me how the setting actually works)

-API Blog post with more detail?

-Anyone's personal experience?

Thanks for any information anyone has to share!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Bryan_Sorensen
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Any changes made within the script to diagnostics level will override the GUI setting. I highly recommend using the GUI setting when possible as it removes the need to manage configuration items or to rebuild scripts that are hard-coded with diagnostics levels.

Bryan Sorensen

API Analyst| OCAPI - OCI

API Support Team

View answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Bryan_Sorensen
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Any changes made within the script to diagnostics level will override the GUI setting. I highly recommend using the GUI setting when possible as it removes the need to manage configuration items or to rebuild scripts that are hard-coded with diagnostics levels.

Bryan Sorensen

API Analyst| OCAPI - OCI

API Support Team

Alex_French
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator
Update: I haven't been able to recreate what we thought we had seen.

We thought that a brand new script would not Write() or WriteIf(Error...) at all until the first time we set the specific script's Diagnostics Level in the OnBase GUI.

But it all appears to be working as expected and as Nevin and Brian described, so that initial belief must have been missing a Publish or a Reset Server Cache or something simialr.

Alex_French
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator
Update: I haven't been able to recreate what we thought we had seen.

We thought that a brand new script would not Write() or WriteIf(Error...) at all until the first time we set the specific script's Diagnostics Level in the OnBase GUI.

But it all appears to be working as expected and as Nevin and Brian described, so that initial belief must have been missing a Publish or a Reset Server Cache or something simialr.