cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnBase 15.0.1.84 - Can Timer Work be run without an Item?

Steven_Zeltner4
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hello.  I was wondering if a Workflow Timer could execute a task list regardless of whether or not there was an item in the Queue.  My use case for this has to do with updating the attributes of some WorkView objects at a specified time interval.  The task list will use the "Related Item Exists" rule with the "Use Related Object for Tasks" option to accomplish this.  I'm trying to avoid putting the Timer in every Queue of the Life Cycle and I'm also trying to avoid putting a "dummy" object in a queue to trigger off of.  If someone deletes the dummy object, then the timer ceases.  I guess my third option would be to put all of the objects in a "System" Life Cycle with 1 Queue.  When they are removed from Workflow, they no longer need to be monitored and updated so they would be removed from their processing Life Cycle as well as this "System" Life Cycle.

If the timer can't execute without an item, are there any suggestions for accomplishing a "global" update of attributes on WorkView objects that satisfy a certain filter that happens at a certain frequency?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

You still need an object or document in the queue. Most cases like this use a "placeholder" form with a keyword that is common to all the related items you want to work with.

Here is an example I like to use. I need to find all documents that will be due in 90 days. On a daily basis I have a timer that updates the following form dates, finds related items exists (based on a portfolio), then adds [use related item for tasks = TRUE] only those items with a matching due date to another lifecycle.

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

You still need an object or document in the queue. Most cases like this use a "placeholder" form with a keyword that is common to all the related items you want to work with.

Here is an example I like to use. I need to find all documents that will be due in 90 days. On a daily basis I have a timer that updates the following form dates, finds related items exists (based on a portfolio), then adds [use related item for tasks = TRUE] only those items with a matching due date to another lifecycle.

Thank you for the example, Eric.