cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving - Repointing test environment Disk Groups and deleting data from old disk groups

Ed_Faroun1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Our test environment is being relocated to a different server, currently we have a ridiculous amount of documents in test that we would like to take the opportunity and purge/delete, this is a test environment and we really don't care about the data.

What would be the best practice here? For the Disk Group relocation, should we:

1. Create the Folders in the new share and share them out

2. Copy the OnBase ID Files to the corresponding folders 

3. Repoint the Disk Groups location in Config to the new location 

4. Delete all old volumes in the old share

Would this be the best practice or is there a better practice and would we need to do anything else to clear the Database or deleting the documents would suffice?

Thank you

12 REPLIES 12

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi There,

Thanks for the post! 

Some of this decision really depends on what you are looking for in your test environment.  Are you looking to retain data from your current test environment or start over?  

If you don't care about the older data in your system, but you want to keep some of it, what you could do is copy only the necessary (most likely the newest) volumes to the new location and then delete the others.  This way, the latest files are still accessible through the test environment.  The caveat about this is that the documents (metadata) in the system still exists in the database and will show up in the hitlist, however, the documents will not return files from the disk group because they won't exist.  This method would require pointing the disk groups to the new location.

Another method would be to use Configuration Migration to create a new Test Environment with only the Configuration of Production.  This would leave you with a Test Environment without any documents (ie files in the disk groups, keywords, etc).

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Ed_Faroun1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hey Adam,

We don't have the Configuration Migration module; we have to do this "manually" :(.

We are purging everything in the test system. But I think that the System Disk Group is needed? I found that it has multiple volumes and has grown to 10 Gigs or more!! Can I copy the first Volume only and would that suffice for system documents integrity?

Thank you,

John_Anderson4
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

FYI, I believe Configuration Migration is a free license.

Ricardo_Pacheco
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Could a custom query be created in order to find the files they don't want? Maybe select them in small groups (by date range?) if the database is too large. Select and delete.

Would this take care of removing the files and the metadata?