cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mixed case keywords - pros and cons

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I'm looking to set up a new set of doc types in our system. We use all caps keywords, but I like the look of mixed case better. Are there any cons to using mixed case when setting up the keyword types?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

John_Anderson4
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I would agree. It's best for longer "descriptive" keywords. For shorter keywords that are just metadata, uppercase is still probably best. Also, anything that needs to be rendered visually as mixed case (like an address) is a good candidate for mixed case.

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Thanks Nat, Marcus, Jose and John! I appreciate your insight.

Danielle

Nathan_Jones3
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator
Danielle,If your primary purpose is for autoname display, don't forget that you don't necessarily have to use keyword values to populate that string. You can always construct the autoname with a string of your own choosing, typed in whatever case suits you. I realize that might not fit with what you're doing, but wanted to throw the idea out there.-Nate

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Thanks Nate! I remember we did this in Sys Admin training and made a sentence out of AP invoices or something like that. Doesn't fit this scenario of mine, but I appreciate it!

LuAnn_Gaylord1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We had an issue using mixed case for indexing as user was able to index with mixed case and it did not match case in the keyword dataset.  Also doc retrieval also does not recognize mixed case for searching.  Please remember that if the keywords are to be used in workflow rules, then this is where the case becomes critical.