cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mixed case keywords - pros and cons

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I'm looking to set up a new set of doc types in our system. We use all caps keywords, but I like the look of mixed case better. Are there any cons to using mixed case when setting up the keyword types?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Nat_Mara
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

This is just a guess, mind you, but with how literal OnBase is you might be setting yourself up for inconsistent indexing.  My guess is that OnBase would view California as different than CALIFORNIA so that depending on how you did a retrieval, you may get some of the documents and not the others, or if you create folders you may have two folders instead of one.  Just spitballing here ...

Nat

Marcus_Christia
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I'll recommend that you do not do Mixed Case if you can avoid it.  I know it "looks nicer" but there are a few reasons for my recommendation.  The most important reason is documented in one of the MRGs - Autofill Keyword Sets, I believe.  But there's a known issue with Cascading Data Sets and mixed case keywords.  If you don't ever plan to use Cascading Data Sets that issue becomes moot.

There are two primary instances I will use Mixed Case keywords.

1: The keyword is for descriptive purposes only.  For example, if I were routing documents for a review process, I might used Mixed Case for a value like "Routed to Approver", or something else, where that keyword has nothing to do with any process, it's for the user's visual benefit only.

2: The Mixed Case is necessary based on the value of the keyword to the user.  For example, if I were setting a keyword that will get added to a notification that sends an email to a third party, I might consider Mixed Case simply to make the email look nicer and less robotic.

Generally speaking though, it's largely subjective, but I feel upper case is the preferred way to go to avoid any possible compatibility issues now and in the future.

Joe_Pineda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I'm with Marcus. Not unless really necessary. Also, 'dO NoT DO iT' is not really all that pretty, IMHo.

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Alright, I see your points. This new set of documents is more like reference material, and we'll probably add them to full-text indexing. They can have long, descriptive titles, which is why I think the eye would prefer to look at mixed-case keywords if I strung them together for the Doc Name.