cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyword DropDown Dataset

Robert_Kim
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I have a keyword type that uses a dropdown list using a dataset with the values of Yes or No.  Is there a way to make the dropdown initially display with No as the default selection. It will be used with OnBase 17 Thick Client.

5 REPLIES 5

Lee_Davis2
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Yes, Robert, you can definitely do this. In the Configuration module, go to Document > Document Types.

Highlight the Document Type that contains the keyword for which you want a default value defined, then click the 'Keyword Types' button.

Just under the "All Keyword Types" list, click the "Options" button. From here you can double click in the 'Default Keyword Value' field for the keyword type that you want to assign a default value for and specify the value.

This reminded me... I had a similar situation, but if I default the Keyword value to "N" and then later "Y" is applied (entered or assigned in workflow?), then the document had two Keyword values... "N" and "Y". I never really figured out why that happened... I just removed the default value.

Hi Paula,

I can come up with a few possibilities, but one of my favorite (apparently) mistakes is when using workflow action "replace keyword" is to forget the check box on the bottom "Delete All Existing Values." I thought that replacing was, well, you know, remove everything there and only leave the new value. Not always the case.

Another issue around indexing was (from memory, so maybe not exactly these steps, but it could be reproduced) when indexing a batch users would 'append' a document (thinking that they indexed it), go to the next document, clear keywords thinking that they were on a new document, enter values and then index. Since these were documents with similar values, they locked the keywords which made it fun to track down because not every keyword was duplicated.

something i could not reproduce seemed to be that people who had the 'modify keywords' privilege were changing the keyword values not re-indexing. I now don't allow the 'modify keyword' privilege and force users to re-index or use an ad hoc task to change keyword values. A bit more work on the back end to control when/if/how the document (re-)enters workflow, but I don't find unexpected, unexplainable multiple keyword values any more

now I am curious about your Y/N issues and any other possible causes!

Hi, Dave.

I had not heard of paragraph 1's item! I'll bet that was it. (However, we were also using Advanced Capture... an excruciating experience for me, so I have wiped big chunks from my memory, ha!) I will investigate.

I don't think it was paragraph 2 or 3 - though you have given me something to think about with that "modify keywords" issue. Hmm...

Thanks!