cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jpeg vs Image file format

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I'm trying to figure out how to get a doc type to default to a certain file format and I'm stuck.  I set up a JPEG file format to recognize .jpg files.  The doc type is set up to default to that file type.  But when I upload a jpg as that doc type, OnBase uses the Image File Format.  I went into that file format and the default file extension is "???".  I feel like this might be why I'm having this problem. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Vince_Carter
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Danielle,

Thank you for using the Hyland Community.

The "???" that you see in the file extension is set because "Image files" contain a plethora of file extension. This is merely an arbitrary value to tell the client to reference the MIME type to dictate the file extension.

For more information please reference the System Administration MRG v13 (pg.340)

Thanks,

Vince.

If you are really in need of JPEG's to be their own file type your can always create one. (pg.336 of the SysAdmin MRG)

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Vince-

Thanks for your response, but you'll read that I did create one.  The reason I did so was because photos uploaded as a group come back out of OnBase as .tif files, not their native file format.  Even if I choose JPEG as a file format, it still acts the same so the jpeg file format doesn't even help in this case.  I will test using check-out for these files instead. 

Thanks

Andrew_Johnson2
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

How are you "getting them out" of OnBase? If you are doing something like "Send To -> File" you should be able to specify "Native Format" instead of "Image" and that should prevent OnBase from rendering it as a TIFF.  It should send down the files just as they were stored in the Disk Groups.

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Andrew-

The ability to specify Native File Format is a newer feature that we don't have in our build of 12.  We haven't upgraded yet, so I was trying to find a workaround until we do.  Thanks for the tip though.  Looks like check-out doesn't help either.  We'll come up with something else.