cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing ODBC on users computers

Kathrine_McKelv
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Does anyone know if there is a table in OnBase that would identify which users use the Thick client to access OnBase?  We are doing a version upgrade to 14 tomorrow and I'm wondering how I'm going to install the ODBC on the desktops for all users that use the Thick client application.  I'm sure their SQL Server driver is out of date as well and I need to add a new icon to desktop to access OnBase 14.  Any suggestions?  I tried to use a terminal server to install the application and ODBC for users to remote in but I could not get passed the need for user's desktop to have the ODBC installed ( even using the System DSN - I couldn't get it to work). Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Kathrine_McKelv
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I created a terminal server, shortcut to OnBase Thick Client and a System DSN connection to the OnBase DB and when a user remotes into the server they still had to create an ODBC on their desktop in order to connect.  Not sure how to create a registry script.

Joe_Pineda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I had written a query that you can run from SSMS and uses dynamic management views  ( like sys.dm_exec_sessions). The query told me exactly the odbc driver version  of anyone that was logged into the db. If you're interested, I'll try to dig it up from my old files and post the code. I think I got the skeleton of the query by using Google to find basic basic code and then modified it. It worked like a charm! I would suggest you do a Google search for 'queries to tell odbc driver versions....'

Joe_Pineda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

???? HUH???

If they RDP to a server's desktop (or if they use Citrix), having or not having an ODBC connection on their client machine means nothing. If you mean they had to create a DSN ON the remote erver's desktop they were using, then you need to set ODBC up as a system DSN using the 32-bit version of the ODBC administrator wizard.  You should find the 32-bit version (ODBCAD32.exe) in the Syswow64 folder.

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Kathi,

There's a SQL query in this blog post on ODBC drivers that will help you identify what driver active connections are currently using. Additionally, depending on the version of OnBase you are currently using, the ODBC driver version may also be stored in the message column of the hsi.securitylog. That logging was added with version 13 of OnBase.

Hope that helps!

Ansley