cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase Itemname Length (Autoname String Length)

Sheila_Shaver
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

My OnBase environment was initially created with version 5.0 - so my Autoname String Length only gave me 100 characters.  I am now on 12.02 --- My Hit List and Queries are all being cut off.  Hyland Technical Support recently informed me how to increase this to 255 characters.  I applied my -ROMANZO switch and launched Config.  In the Utils menu, I ran "Increase Itemname Length".  I did an IISReset.  I actually did a complete server re-boot.  My Hit List and queries are still being cut off at 100 characters.  It doesn't look like there was any change.  This is on my test environment - as I need to be sure the changes take effect and no other side-effects happen before I make the change in Production.  I went back to my Configuration Manager - and the "Increase Itemname Length" option is no longer showing up - so the option must not be available if I already ran it?  Am I missing something else to make this happen?  Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Dan_White
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Sheila,

This is basically a day-forward setting, meaning new documents will have a longer autoname string length, but existing documents will still be less than 100 characters because that was the limit when they were originally processed.

Hope that answers your question.

Dan

Nick_McElheny1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Sheila,

If you go in to the keywords for a document and click "Save", does it update the autoname string for that document past 100 characters?  If I remember correctly, when I ran this for our environment it increases the maximum length, but does not actually update existing documents.  Going forward, new documents will have the increased length and any old documents that get updated by saving the keywords would go past 100.

I hope this helps.

Nick McElheny | Trover Solutions, Inc.

Lead Systems Engineer - Document Imaging

Thank you BOTH.  The new documents are working fine.  Now I just need to figure out how to get a couple million of my current documents to be updated.  Thanks again!

Nick_McElheny1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Sheila,

I'm not sure if this is the most efficient way, but depending on how many different document types that you have it's an option.

In Config | Document Types | Select your Document Type | Auto-Name

From within this menu there's a checkbox to 'Rename All Documents of This Document Type' and it will essentially go through every document that's in that particular document type and update it's autoname string.  Depending on how many documents are in the document type that you're updating, this will take a while, so you may want to start with a smaller document type to get a feel for how long it will take in your system.

Hope this helps.

Nick McElheny | Trover Solutions, Inc.

Lead Systems Engineer - Document Imaging

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.