cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase Itemname Length (Autoname String Length)

Sheila_Shaver
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

My OnBase environment was initially created with version 5.0 - so my Autoname String Length only gave me 100 characters.  I am now on 12.02 --- My Hit List and Queries are all being cut off.  Hyland Technical Support recently informed me how to increase this to 255 characters.  I applied my -ROMANZO switch and launched Config.  In the Utils menu, I ran "Increase Itemname Length".  I did an IISReset.  I actually did a complete server re-boot.  My Hit List and queries are still being cut off at 100 characters.  It doesn't look like there was any change.  This is on my test environment - as I need to be sure the changes take effect and no other side-effects happen before I make the change in Production.  I went back to my Configuration Manager - and the "Increase Itemname Length" option is no longer showing up - so the option must not be available if I already ran it?  Am I missing something else to make this happen?  Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Jay_Gienty
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Sheila - What if you went into Document Config and modified the Auto-Name string by adding a space somewhere. Then check the Rename All Documents of This Document Type checkbox.  This should then prompt you to change all existing docs.  It may take a while but this might increase the string on existing docs.

I haven't ried this to expand the string but I know it works when you modify the string.

Thomas_Cupp
Employee
Employee

All of these posts are correct. However, I want to throw my experience into the ring.

When I was in Hyland's Tech Support group I had a customer use the "Rename all documents of this document type" option. They used it on a document type that had over 5,000,000 documents in it. 5m documents is a lot, but from a database perspective it's not as big a deal since a 32-bit database can handle 4bn documents.

However, Auto-Name strings are stored in the itemdata table in the database. This table is one of the most heavily trafficked tables in the database. If you try to run this process during high volume times the process can take a very long time. In the above scenario it took 5 days to complete the process.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Sheila_Shaver
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This ended up taking a LONG - LONG time!  You would think Hyland would have a tool to run the "re-name" utility on multiple DocTypes together.  I had to manually go into each DocType, go to the <Auto-Name>, click <Rename All Documents of This Document Type> and <Save>. Then had to verify that <Yes> I wanted to re-name them.  I have 272 different DocTypes.  I would have rather ran one large job over the weekend, instead of having to watch every single document type process through the re-naming.  There should be a tool to do this that doesn't lock up the Config Manager.  I'm just glad that I won't have to do this one ever again!

Marcus_Christi6
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

It pains me to say that there is a way to change autonames for multiple document types, using the -DTGAPPLY switch on the Configuration application.  This exposes an additional checkbox, "Apply to All Document Types in Document Type Group".  SO at the very least you would only need to go for each group, but update all documents within that group.

For future reference, I suppose.  It's in the Command Line Switches MRG.

Sheila_Shaver
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Oh, man!!!  That would have saved me from 272 DocTypes to 45 DocType Groups!   I know that switch now, though!  Hopefully someone getting ready to do this will now be able to see the posts and can save a lot of time.

Thank you everybody for responding!

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.