cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Users into OnBase

David_Simon
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

The System Admin MRG explains how to manually import Users into OnBase.  I'd like to know:

a. Can you AUTOMATE the import of users into OnBase?

b. And if so, I assume it would have to be done via the OnBase API?  Is this possible via the OnBase API?

c. And if so, has anyone else done this and for what reasons?

We have a situation where folks want to use OnBase's DKT for all users.  There are 100's of users and new users are hired/re-hired all the time.  If the users aren't in OnBase then they don't "flow thru" to the DKT "Reading Groups".  If they aren't in the Reading Group, they don't get notification that they have items to review and acknowledge.  Our thought would be to proactively add users to the OnBase system so they would ultimately get the notification(s) needed related to DKT.

6 REPLIES 6

Mike_Saville
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Have you thought about using the OnBase Network Security option of "Windows NT", you can then have users automatically added to OnBase groups provided the user group name matches an AD group.  So then if you have a group in AD that all the users are in, you can have a corresponding group in OnBase.  When the user logs into OnBase, OnBase checks to see which groups the user is a member of in AD and adds them to the corresponding group in OnBase if it exists.

David_Simon
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Mike I appreciate that comment.  Yes, we do have this set up like you indicate.  And this is great.  However, we are trying to get users added to OnBase prior to them even logging into OnBase for the first time.  So while it does help with getting many users set up "automatically" for us...it still leaves us with 100's of users who have never even logged into OnBase yet - and we want them included in our Reading Groups for DKT.

Andy_Mears
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

David,

Which APIs do you have available? I've written a utility in Unity (v 11.0.1) that adds users to OnBase based on new users and roles in our PeopleSoft implementation. We are also using LDAP for authentication only even though we do have a Microsoft AD also available.

Send me an email if you want to discuss how I implemented this.

andy.mears@utsouthwestern.edu

Well then you are going to need to use the OnBase API to create the users and add them to user groups.  I'm assuming you have the Reading Groups setup with User Groups as members vs. Users for this to work. 

You can use either the Thick Client API or the Unity Client API to create users and add them to user groups.  I have writting utilities in the past to help manage user logins based on their AD status with both the Thick Client and Unity APIs.