Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing a PDF -- Convert to Tiff

Seth_Yantiss
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Hey All,

A few of my users import documents using the Web or Unity or Outlook clients.  Sometimes these documents are PDF's that need to be split into other documents.

I'm eliciting suggestions on an approach that limits the steps and the decisions that the user needs to take/make when importing a document.

My current line of thinking is to convert every PDF to a TIFF, allowing separation if needed, but I am not sure how to accomplish this when the document is imported using the clients.

VPD is an option I've been mulling over, but that defeats the usefulness of the Outlook integration "auto import folders".

It would be just AWESOME if there was a way to put a document into a scan queue from a client import.

Anybody have any thoughts or useful tips?

Cheers,
Seth

14 REPLIES 14

Scott_Johnson3
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

Hi Seth

I use workflow  and and a fairly simple unity script to do most of my conversions (you need a pdf framework license and API certification).  Then use a adhoc task to do the splitting.  Or you can use image processing if you can get it into a scan queue.  Good luck.

Scott

Victor_Pudelsk3
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Scott, Can you elaborate on the "pdf foundation license"?

I understand the API Certification portion, I am just wondering if you are referring to something you have within OnBase or a 3rd party library. I am currently reviewing 3rd party libraries to do similar work with PDFs.

Kathy_Hughes3
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

oh simplier than that

In version 11 /12 with the new snbd dbl  it converts it to whatever you have as a default doc type in workflow.  You have an action in workflow to separate images.

So set the default doc type to Tiff

What we actually do is control the size prior to import ( DIP or sweep) .  We control the size by  conversion script to convert all pdf to tiff or tiff imports from third party or users to maintain a consistent size. powershell calling imagemagik

We don't want a 18 megapixel image in there  from a camera unless we want it to be.

Check out imagemagik a free download and command line image software.

Kathy_Hughes3
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I meant to say set the doc type in configuration under settings for the document type to TIF import a pdf and it will convert. Manipulate the image to separate out pages /create a new document in workflow.

Wish we had a edit button on our posts 🙂