cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make code changes of an Active version without creating a new Unpublished Version?

Nghia_Phan
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I would like to make some minor changes in the current Active Unity Script code in Studio, but without creating any new Unpublished version. How we do that?

I realize that Onbase keeping any new change into a new version with versioning control idea; but, it also creates too many Published versions during testings and making modifications. I wish OnBase Studio provides an IDE like (Visual Studio), so we can test directly and see trace in the Diagnostics console. In Studio, we only have Save, Save & Publish, and Build options.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Shane_Cook1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi,

I don't know what OnBase licenses you own. If you have the OnBase "Unity Integration Toolkit" license, you can use Visual Studio to connect to OnBase and develop/test Unity Script code outside of OnBase for many solutions.  Once you have your code working as expected, it is a relatively easy process to transfer your code into OnBase and do one "build and publish" thus eliminating your current issue.

If you don't have the license mentioned above, I would recommend leaving the comment field blank for test builds and filling it in with release information only when you have a "known good" script.  Reviewing the lengthy list of versions will be much easier to trace back to each of the "good" versions.

Cheers.

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Shane_Cook1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi,

I don't know what OnBase licenses you own. If you have the OnBase "Unity Integration Toolkit" license, you can use Visual Studio to connect to OnBase and develop/test Unity Script code outside of OnBase for many solutions.  Once you have your code working as expected, it is a relatively easy process to transfer your code into OnBase and do one "build and publish" thus eliminating your current issue.

If you don't have the license mentioned above, I would recommend leaving the comment field blank for test builds and filling it in with release information only when you have a "known good" script.  Reviewing the lengthy list of versions will be much easier to trace back to each of the "good" versions.

Cheers.

Nghia_Phan
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thank you for your answer.

But developing C# code outside OnBase sometimes is not quick and simple. For an example, Unity Script for Workflow, I have to set/initialize/reference to the current workflow or document objects, before I work on these objects. Meanwhile, the OnBase  Unity Script, I just reference to the current args/app objects. 

The point I would like to say is not only this case but for many items in OnBase, we don't have any option to clean up or remove in test environment, without using database delete SQL.

I agree with your statements and empathize with your situation.  Writing Unity Scripts outside of the OnBase Studio environment is an advanced technique.  It requires a bit more pre-work to set up your script to closely mimic what is delivered by default in OnBase Studio.  

A final thought on your point made. It may be better to refresh your TEST instance from PROD regularly (or more often). Besides resolving your main issue, it greatly helps development in all areas of OnBase development by keeping the keywords, document types, etc. in sync with your PROD configuration.

PS: Regarding your comment about using SQL to delete records from the OnBase database.  It is my understanding of the license agreement is that altering any part of the OnBase database without a previously signed agreement from Hyland is prohibited. Doing so without permission may void your ability to get technical support for your system.  Please, please, please contact your first line of support before attempting any SQL updates to your database.

Hi, just want to chime in and especially emphasize Shane's last point -- this is a violation of the license agreement.