cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help files not opening properly even when opening the file directly

Deborah_Hack
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Since upgrading to the latest Onbase 12 build, we get "navigation to the webpage was canceled" when opening certain help files (Client help, Config help, others...). This happens whether we try to open from OnBase or to open the files directly. We downloaded the latest help files and still have the same problem.

Example: When opening the CLNT.chm file, the pane that should show the title page to the client help files instead shows the message about navigation to webpage being cancelled. However, in the left pane we do have Autofill Keyword Sets and External Mail in the contents section and can navigate to those pages.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

1. Are the help files local or on a network share?

If it is a network share it may be the following Microsoft issue (most common cause in this case):

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225     

similar http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896054

2. Permissions - Do users have windows permissions to view/open the help files?

dpowersHSI
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

This kind of issue is always due to security/permissions settings. CHM help files are actually HTML-based and, as such, are treated by Windows as Web pages. As counter-intuitive as it seems, setting your Internet Explorer permissions correctly to “trust” the network location of your help files should solve this problem.

Aside from the links Eric posted, see also this article from Microsoft: “Navigation is canceled when you browse to Web pages that are in different Internet Explorer security...”.

Christopher_New
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I found a solution.  I created a file called obhelp.reg (name doesn't matter, just the exrtension .reg).  I inserted the following text where <servername>\\<directory> is the onbase server and a shared directory where i put my "All Help" files directory, which contains the help files:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"UrlAllowList"="\\\\<servername>\\<directory>\\all help;file://\\\\<servername>\\<directory>\\all help"

I clicked on the file to add it to registry.

Next, I modified my onbase32.ini file to point to this location for my Help files.  (There is a universal setting for this in Config, of course.)  After i did that, I was able to view the Help without issue; and now all our users will be able to see the files as well as access them from the same network location.

Chris