cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal DB Error: user exists but login failed

Ron_Casto
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making
I am trying to install a new client and at this point getting the following message when trying to login as Manager.Database [7827]Fatal DB error: user exists but login failedEverything works logging in on the server. The database is SQL Express 64 bit. The server is Windows Server 2008, and the client is Windows 7 64 bit. I had some problems initially getting the ODBC connection working, and may still not have the correct one.Thanks for the help. Ron
5 REPLIES 5

Kevin_Perron
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Ron

I have seen this error in the past.  It is referring to the SQL user and SQL login IDs.  In the past I have fixed it by accessing the database and looking for the name of the workstation that is trying to connect as a SQL login .  Then drop (delete) that login.  After that you should be able to login.

I did go into Admin in the client and delete the machine from there but was not sure about deleting the names directly from the database. I also deleted several other older names that were no longer valid and was surprised that it did not replicate down to the database and delete the names from there also. Is this typical, that you have to go and delete them from both places manually?

Kevin_Perron
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Ron

I only ever went in and dealt with this when I had the Fatal DB Error you referenced.  Most of the time I never worried about old SQL logins.   If you migrate to Web or Unity this becomes less of an issue as users are going through the Web / App Server(s).  Best if you are not the DBA to discuss this with them.  I probably should have put that disclaimer in earlier 🙂  Anyway have you been able to login the new workstation?

Richard_Coyle
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Yes, in MS SQL you really have two security levels. The first is to allow you to connect to the SQL Server or instance its self. The second one is at the database. This allows the user to connect and access the database. The main user you want to delete is at the database level especially if that same user is accessing other databases. If they aren't, then you can go ahead and delete both, the instance logon as well as the database. This should allow the user you are attempting to logon as connect to OnBase.

You also mentioned that the connection was 64bit. Remember to create 32 bit ODBC connections. From a 64 bit system, this is accomplished by using the odbcad32.exe located in the Windows\SysWOW64 directory.