Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Data set value request with a variable

Fabien_Doliveux
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello,

I'd like to find a workaround to Cascading dataset that can't be external.

Is it possible de create an external data set with a result list depending of another keyword value please?

For exemple:

KW: Project, Consultant

If I select Project, I want to see only the consultant working on this project threw an sql query.

I'd like to create something like:

Select Consultant from mytable where table.project="ValueOfTheKW"

Is it possible please? If yes can you explain me how to call the other KW in the SQL request please?

4 REPLIES 4

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Fabien,

Thanks for the post.

At this time it is not possible to utilize a variable/parameter with SQL Custom Queries.  SCR: #63442  has been created for the enhancement, but at this time has not been implemented into the software.  Additionally, SCR: #88793 has been created for the enhancement to support external cascading dataset.  You can work with your first line of support to be added to the requests.

Take care.

Thanks Adam!

If it is possible and/or helpful, please add my name to SCR: #63442. Thanks

Brad_Phillips
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Dear Fabian,

I'm sorry, but I don't think a Cascading Dataset is the solution for you.  The only way a Cascading Dataset can be populated is by entering values manually, or by inputting a text file.  There's no way to populate a Cascading Dataset using an external database source.

However, you could accomplish this using a External Autofill Keyword Set.  If your input value is the "ValueOfTheKW", it can automatically populate the name of the consultant.  It'll even give you a list of Consultants to choose from if more than one are part of the project.

I would try implementing an External Autofill Keyword Set and see if that works for you.

Thanks,

Brad Phillips