cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting files from OnBase

Greg_Garvin
Star Contributor
Star Contributor
I have over 10,000 JPEG photos images stored in OnBase.Each JPEG is between 3MB and 5MB in size.I need to export all of those images out of OnBase and onto a Windows share drive.The Send To File and Send to Zip File menu options in the Client is very, very slow...almost un-usable for this task.I need to keep the indexed file name so I can't just cut and past from the Image Store server.Does any have any suggestion on how can export these files more efficiently?ThanksGreg Garvin
4 REPLIES 4

MichaelBertrand
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

The way I would go about it is to build an SQL query to build the appropriate commands and then run them from a batch file. 

The data you or your DBA / SQL Expert are looking for would be in the ITEMDATA, ITEMDATAPAGE, PHYSICALPLATTER / PHYSICALPLATTERPATH tables.

There are a few things that you may need to consider beforehand however:

- If you want to rename the file from the OnBase name to the generated Auto Name String (ANS), you will need to ensure that the ANS does not contain any illegal file name or directory name characters.

- If you are building a Windows folder structure based on keyword values you will need to ensure that there is always a value for the keyword (NULLs are evil) or use the SQL CASE command to handle that situation. 

- For optimum speed you would want to run the batch file from either source or the destination server. The destination server would be recommended. 

- If you are exporting TIF images and if they are stored as single page images (i.e. multiple TIF files for one document) stop. This procedure will not account for that. You said that you are processing JPGs, so you should be fine. 

Hope this helps.

Mike_Saville
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I would use the Unity API to export out the documents.  This would allow you to determine naming convention, output locations, keywords to inlcude, etc.

Seth_Yantiss
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Greg,

For less than 100,000 documents I'd take the script path and develop a workflow queue and LC to put the documents in and then write a script to export them to some disk.

Here's an old thread with a document export VB script:

https://www.onbase.com/community/technical_communities/onbase_apis/f/10813/p/11182/30373.aspx#30373

Another: https://www.onbase.com/community/technical_communities/tech/f/10788/t/18826.aspx

and then this thread (this might should be first): https://www.onbase.com/community/technical_communities/tech/f/11069/p/18314/37492.aspx#37492

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Greg,

Another option in OnBase v14 is to use the Export to Network Location (or Generate Flat File in OnBase 13) Workflow action to export these documents from OnBase.  You could create a Custom Query (possible a SQL Custom Query if needed) to generate the list of times and then send them through Workflow.  

Hope this helps.

Take care. 

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.