cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does OnBase support the use of Compression

Eric_Fall
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Either Oracle Basic Compression or Oracle Advanced Compression.

1 REPLY 1

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Eric,

Oracle's Basic and Advanced Compression have not been tested for compatibility with the OnBase product.

That being said, I'm not sure that Basic Compression would offer any benefit with the product. My understanding is that Basic Compression is only for bulk loaded data which isn't a concept that is used within the OnBase software.

Advanced Compression may offer some benefits with the DML created/modified data in the OnBase database although it may also hinder performance as the act of compressing and uncompressing will inevitably add some amount of overhead to the processing of data.

If using Oracle's Advanced Compression with OnBase is something that you are interested in doing, I would recommend that you perform extensive testing in a Test or Development environment - for both OnBase functionality and for performance. When testing for performance, I would recommend that you test with data that is similar to production in volume and distribution as well as with user and process activity that accurately simulates your production environment. After that testing, if you feel it would be beneficial to use the Advanced Compression in your production environment, we can certainly have a discussion on how to go about putting that in production while staying within the maintenance agreement and Database Use Policy. You can get in touch with your first line of support to initiate that conversation.

Hope that helps,

Ansley