Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution Service - Verbose downgrade

Tharon_Rivera
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Hello everyone,

We are currently testing a potential upgrade to v16.  I noticed that the verbose level 2 logging on the distribution service no longer contains details that are useful for troubleshooting.  I had to fire up the old v14 service to get the failure details.

Is there some other way to get this information?  The MRG still says it should log the full telnet command details...

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Jim_Adamich
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

In version 15 the Distribution Service’s underlying architecture was updated to use Microsoft's .NET SMTP client in preparation to support authenticated SMTP, SSL, and other email security features. In switching the network communication layer from a custom implementation of all the required SMTP commands to the .NET library, we lost the ability to trace all traffic sent over the wire but tried to maintain useful error reporting if the SMTP connection encountered any problems.  Unfortunately, there was an error condition that was missed which caused the cryptic "EmailV2 failed" error to be output. This was addressed for OnBase 16 under SCR 228339 to provide a better message for errors encountered throughout the process. We hope that administrators will not need a deep understanding of the email commands at the protocol level to troubleshoot issues with the Distribution Service. Low level protocol information can still be obtained using external tracing using built-in .NET Framework tools for socket level tracing or using a packet analyzer tool (e.g. Wireshark, Microsoft Message Analyzer). If error conditions arise that require this deeper understanding, please contact your first line of support to submit a ticket back to our development team and we will investigate these issues to help track them down without these tools in a future version if possible.

Regards,

View answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

When we ran in to this "feature" we had investigated using the logging possibilities of the new component ( System.Net.Mail rather ), as described here: www.systemnetmail.com/.../4.10.aspx . We did not try activating it. The reply we received from Hyland was " I received word from QA that there should be no issue with adding this section to the Distribution Service config file. The only thing that I would point out is that it looks like there is a missing end tag in the example they give. Otherwise, there doesn’t appear to be any problem adding this to the Configuration section."

Note, in response to Jum's "no need to look behind the curtain" statement, there is no reason to remove this detail of logging, removing diagnostic tools available. We have had at least 2 cases that would have been simple to resolve if we had the old detailed log but which took days to investigate and resolve. In both cases the SMTP return code and message were explicit. (user not found, message too large.) Even if the response code was returned to OnBase and stored it would have helped.

I agree on the error conditions and inability to troubleshoot being a big frustration. I was using 16.0.0.40 and encountered an error and only received the EmailV2 failed. I believe SCR 228339 is what my organization was added to, so I don't think it has been implemented in 16 yet. Does "addressed for OnBase 16" mean the SCR was created or this is going to actually be released in a 16 build?

Michael,
The steps in the referenced article should provide detailed network logs for tracking down SMTP problems in the Distribution Service. We plan on updating the documentation this next release based on some of the upcoming changes to the service and this will be one of our recommendations if all other troubleshooting fails.

Tharon,
SCR 228339 was completed well before the initial release of OnBase 16 and fixed the known issue where failure conditions were not being output. Do you happen to know if there were any errors reported in the "Errors" tab of the Diagnostics Console that correspond to the "EmailV2 failed"?

All,
If you find any quirks or errors that are not being reported correctly, please reach out to your FLOS with detailed information about the issue encountered and resolution (if found). This information should be added to a new support issue which in turn should be attached to SCR 154855. The SCR is for adding more detailed error logging throughout the process and is scheduled for inclusion in a future version of the software. As long as the support issue is attached to the referenced SCR your organization will be updated upon its completion.

Regards,

Jim Adamich

I will have to recreate the issue I was having to double check. It's possible that it may have been logged there, but we may have been focused on the Timer/Distribution Service tab which we were accustomed to look at.
Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.