cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Table Archiving

Robert_Mee1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

We have a number of tables in our database that have had significant growth.  Some to the point that they are effecting the Database teams ability to run the sampling process. Below are some tables in question. Can anyone share how they are handling archiving?  We do not want to purge this data without archiving to another location outside of the production database first. 

wftransactionlog

wftransactionmsg

transactionxlog

itemdatapage

itemdata

dfcytxlog

wflog

keyitem584

keyitem299

keyitem306

keyitem301

keyitem300

keyitem305

keyxitem125

chartxitemdata

securitylog

keyitem588

keyitem583

keyitem585

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Robert,

I would recommend reaching out to your First Line of Support for assistance with this question.

Purging data directly from the OnBase database is not permitted under the maintenance agreement and would be significantly detrimental given some of the tables you have listed. 

Your First Line of Support can also assist with recommendations on maintenance jobs on these larger tables to allow your maintenance plans to complete.

Ansley

View answer in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Along the same lines as Alex I'm curious as to the issues besides the sampling. What kind of sampling are you doing? How often are you doing it? We have over 1TB OnBase database and we are able to do our weekly maintenance with little impact to end user performance. Is your hardware sufficient to handle your growing database?

Nick_McElheny
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I agree with the posts above about checking the various reference guides as a starting point.  The only thing that I would add is there are built-in mechanisms through the Thick Client for purging the various log tables (Transaction, Workflow, Security, Scanning, etc.).  A lot of times this is an easy place to start before looking at your document retention process.  These are covered in the System Admin and Workflow MRGs and you can get pretty granular as far as purging by date range, specific actions or workflows, etc.  For instance you might decide that you just want to get rid of Platter Management errors older than X number of years.  I'd always recommend running through the Thick Client purge processes in Staging first before trying in production.   

I hope this helps.

Nick McElheny

My original post contained tables I did not mean to reference. That was a list of our tables that
contain the most records. This may have caused some confusion regarding my question. I
apologize for that. I meant to ask about the logs, specifically wftransactionmsg.

What I am asking is, whether anyone else is making a copy of their logs (before purging old records with the Hyland approved tools and options) and if they are making them readily available in another database/storage location? If so, we would be interested in hearing any details on that.

To be clear, we are in the Healthcare sector and will be consulting with our Governance Committee and others regarding guidelines and requirements for retention in our organization. Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

What's the program or application or database that you're looking to migrate your OnBase database data to?

Christian,
Our initial thought is that we would copy the table data to another sql database we have ( not in production) on the same server.
Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.