cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy 2 offline, causing platter management errors

Robert_Angus
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We have a disk group with two copies, both set up as Mass Storage. When Copy 2 is offline for any reason, we get platter management errors whenarchiving any document that is associated with that disk group.

It's very rare for one of our file servers to go offline, but it becomes frustrating because when it does occur (copy 2 going offline) I get emails from users who are seeing this error. 

It was my understanding that the document should archive as normal to Copy 1 and that I would need to copy it over manually when I find it during my weekly disk group analysis review. If that's the case, why do our users get prompted with platter management errors?

3 REPLIES 3

Dan_White
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Robert,

It depends on how you are bringing the documents into OnBase.  For batch processing (COLD, DIP, Scanning, etc.), documents are initially stored in Copy 1 and do not get moved to subsequent disk group copies until the batch is committed.  However, if you are manually importing the document (File | Import), we do an implied commit, which means that we will copy the file to all disk group copies upon import.

If you are importing these documents and copy 2 is offline, you will receive an error.

Hope that makes sense.

Dan

Sean_Storch
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

[quote user="Robert Angus"]

It was my understanding that the document should archive as normal to Copy 1 and that I would need to copy it over manually when I find it during my weekly disk group analysis review.

Hi Robert,

Just to add a bit more information. You don’t need to wait until your weekly analysis to move the files to Copy two.  After your Copy two is back online you can commit all files which failed by going to the following location in the OnBase Client.

Admin | Platter Management | Incomplete Commit Queue | <Right client on a listed Platter and select Commit>

This will attempt to commit all failed files for the selected platter.

Sean

Thank you both for the quick replies!

I wasn't aware that failed/incomplete commits on documents that were manually imported could be committed from Platter Management like that. Thanks for the heads up, Sean!