cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration Migration with Database Source Control?

Stephen_Wanhell
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Has anybody tried using a Database Source Control program like http://www.red-gate.com/ to handle configuration migration changes?

We have a very strict Dev / Prod environment setup and the idea of translating everything manually after a development cycle, especially a major project is not practical.  

The other option for us is to use the config migration tool from dev to prod, but i know thats not realy recommended.  Just looking for other options.

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Chris_Arpajian
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ
Hello Stephen,While I don't have anything to mention directly related to your question with DB Source Control options, I did want to make sure you were aware that Configuration Migration has 2 options when creating a test system. The default being a linked system and then there's the stand alone feature. If you were to utilize the linked functionality then you could easily bring changes made in test, over to your production system.The caveat to that scenario is that the production or parent environment will have limited access to making Configuration changes while it's linked with the test/child system. I figured I would just put this out there in case it was something you were not familiar with. Hope this may help in some way!Regards,Chris

Nick_McElheny1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Stephen,

We use Red Gate for our home grown applications and it is a wonderful tool.  While you could use it to just run a scan to see differences in Dev vs. Prod related to OnBase, you'll still need to transfer everything manually since you can't run any direct scripts against an OnBase database (this includes both DDL and DML).  As you alluded to, one option is Configuration Migration.  This module had its share of issues in earlier versions, but it's significantly better now.  If you're a Workflow shop then Workflow Import/Export is the way to go for anything related to those changes (you can even migrate other types of objects by assigning them to a dummy lifecycle even if they're not meant to be a part of Workflow). 

For things like File Cabinets/Folders, it's a manual process.  There's an SCR out there somewhere for an import/export feature, but I don't think that it's ever made it in to the mix.   

Nick McElheny

Database Administrator | Trover Solutions, Inc.

Ryan_Wilson1
Employee
Employee

In OnBase 14 we introduced export and import wizards into Configuration to export basic types (Document Types, Keyword Types, and Folder Types are the major ones).  In future versions we're going to be expanding the list of supported items and enhancing usability.  

These are available in the Utils menu under Export Configuration Items and Import Configuration Items

Eric_Hyde
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thank you Hyland for working on more systematic ways of migrating changes, as manual efforts are error prone and tedious.