cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we configure autoname to use rules?

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I'd like to autoname documents using a keyword, but if that keyword is blank for the autoname to use a secondary keyword.

The scenario is this: Project vs Quotation documents. Doc types have both "Project Number" and "Quotation" keyword fields. I'd like to use the project number keyword in the autoname string if it exists, but if it doesn't (it's not a project yet) then to use the quotation keyword instead.

Can it be done? 

7 REPLIES 7

Michael_Schrote
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

It's not exactly using rules but couldn't you simply put the two keywords next to each other without any space? This would only work if it was either Keyword1 OR Keyword2, but it would fill that same spot with just the one value if this was the case.

I didn't see usage of rules in configuration either.

Hope this helps!

Seth_Yantiss
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I'm not currently aware of any "native" way to do this...   You should open an enhancement request, IMHO.  It's a good idea, that I would have already used a number of times.

Cheers,
Seth 

Seth_Yantiss
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

As a work-a-round, you could place the document in a SYS queue and run a timer on it every so often that sets the document type between two VERY similar document types with the only real differences being the auto-name string.  The document type to use would be determined by the keyword being filled in or not.

Cheers,
Seth 

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Michael - Unfortunately that wouldn't work because most documents will have a value for both keywords. Thanks though!

Seth - Your workaround idea gave me a different one that might work. This applies to hundreds of doc types, so I think I might copy the quotation value into the project number kw temporarily. We have another workflow that updates the keywords once the quotation is converted to a project, so it's a good possibility. I'll contact my FLOS about the enhancement request and post the number here.