cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Keyword that is too long

Nina_Aust
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise
We have a customer who has some archived data that they want to bring into OnBase via DIP. One of the "keywords" on these documents that they would like brought in is over 500 characters long. As we all know this is far too long for a keyword in OnBase. Have any of you run into a situation like this before, any suggestions on how to easily keep this information?
16 REPLIES 16

Nina_Aust
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise
Thomas - I saw that you updated your response. Thank you, I had thought of that, however they do not own that module, and I don't think that is an investment they are looking into at this time. I appreciate the follow up though.

Thomas_Cupp
Employee
Employee

Outside of using WorkView (which it appears may not be an option) you may need to look into scripting this solution.

It's a really simple task to accomplish with WorkView, that's why I'm suggesting it.

Mike_Saville
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Here are a couple possible ways to do this.

1) Create a database table that contains a unique value and the content of the 500+ value.  DIP the document in and run it through WF.  Then in WF you use a script (VBscript or Unity) to lookup the 500+ value.  Once you have that, create an e-Form and populate that value in a field and assign the unique value to a keyword on the e-form.  This will let you cross-reference between the document and the e-form.  I would probably do this as a DIP preprocessor so you can automate the population of the database.

2) Create mutiple keywords and split the 500+ value cross as many as you need to be able to dip in an e-form.  Run the e-form through WF and use a script (VBscript or Unity) to contatinate all of the individual keyords back into the 500+ value and then add that value to the e-form field.  Make sure you have keywords you can use for cross referencing.

Andrew_White2
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

After running through a test here, it's not going to be possible to DIP in this data even with Workview. Dummy key fields are limited to 259 characters, so even if you weren't bringing in that data at all the DIP process would error out with a "Field too long for internal buffer" message in the verification report.

If this is an export from an external system, then what might be possible is to get your index file without this field, DIP them in as e-forms, then send the e-forms to Workflow and use a script to populate the e-form field with the data from the external system.

Nina_Aust
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise
I think Mike's second option is the one we are going to go with. It was what I was thinking originally I was just hoping someone could come up with an easier method. Thank you everyone for your assistance! Nina