cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Conditional Zones"

Marcus_Christi2
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Looking to see if what I want to do exists by some other name.  I don't believe it does.

The Problem

We have one form that, depending on when it was printed, may or may not have a barcode.  80% have barcodes, the others don't.  There is a value on the form that's in the same place and we control it.  However we have these ones in the wild that don't have the barcode.  I need to account for them - they have the same value as the text on the page, same page, same location (else I'd just use Activation Groups).  These come in electronically; they're scanned via a different process and imported into OnBase.  That process can't change.

Each keyword zone is tied to a specific type of recognition, which helps when it's a known type of field.  As far as I can tell, there isn't a "check for barcode, if not, fall back to standard OCR" option.  This means two zones, which does work.  However, the text value on the form may not get the right value because the image is coming in degraded (by design), which makes the keyword possibly store two values or worse, overwrite and set it wrong.

I could create two keywords, but that feels wasteful.  I could send it to Bar Code Recognition Server first but that also feels wasteful (And slows down processing a bit).

My question: is this or will this be a thing?  Either "check for barcode, if not found fall back to standard OCR" or "Zone B should read only if Zone A didn't get anything" on the same form/page?

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Steve_Reed
Employee
Employee

Hi Marcus,

I would suggest overlapping two zones - one configured to read the value as a bar code, the other as text.  Set the read order of the zones such that the bar code zone is read first.  Then using zone level VB scripts, have the bar code zone script set a value into the document-level property bag indicating 'value found' if the bar code zone successfully extracted the value.  Then the zone level script on the text zone can check the property bag to see if the value was found by the bar code zone, if yes then have the text zone blank out its value.  If not, then the text zone can return its value for the keyword.  I believe this will accomplish what you're looking for.

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Steve_Reed
Employee
Employee

Hi Marcus,

I would suggest overlapping two zones - one configured to read the value as a bar code, the other as text.  Set the read order of the zones such that the bar code zone is read first.  Then using zone level VB scripts, have the bar code zone script set a value into the document-level property bag indicating 'value found' if the bar code zone successfully extracted the value.  Then the zone level script on the text zone can check the property bag to see if the value was found by the bar code zone, if yes then have the text zone blank out its value.  If not, then the text zone can return its value for the keyword.  I believe this will accomplish what you're looking for.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

Hi Marcus,

Depending on the values in the barcode, you might also be able to go the route of two different templates. You would have to be able to use the barcode as one of the Form Identification zones though.

Hi Marcus,

Depending on the values in the barcode, you might also be able to go the route of two different templates. You would have to be able to use the barcode as one of the Form Identification zones though.
Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.