cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maturing through our use, and looking for methods and tools to allow PDF only imports into our repository and insuring date stamping on document

Amy_Young-Leith
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Looking for insight, tips, ideas from fellow OnBase shops! I'm curious about how others have handled some of the issues we are encountering.

We've been using OnBase as our system of record for files relating to claims, policies, etc. since 2016. (Currently on site V18; in the middle of a parallel upgrade to v22.) One at a time, we moved departments in our company over to OnBase from either users of our in-house imaging system (which was put to bed in 2016), OR from a paper environments. Each implementation has it's own set of life cycles and processes, as the needs of the department were somewhat unique. 

Essentially, we retain files that are NOT living documents. We won't need or want people to edit documents saved to the repository. Documents have a Received Date keyword; if they are generated in house this remains blank. If they come into our control via any method (mail, FTP, fax received, email received, carrier pigeon, etc.) they are given a Received Date value. In theory, all documents with a value in Received Date need to go through a process where a visible stamp is applied to the document. Currently this is done in one main place, most often via a script applied through our scan/index process in the mail room. These documents are scanned and imaged as TIFs. The script acts on TIFS only. (We have other processes in one implementation that date stamps PDFs.) 

This requirement of a visible date stamp on the document is guided by state law and subsequent litigation that dictates the requirements of Received Date documentation. 

In the last 7 years we have seen a lot of things change; HOW we receive documents (many more coming in through FTP, customer portals, etc.) and also HOW Received Date can be documented when litigation is involved. For instance, back in 2016 it was acceptable to present testimony and history of the document to prove a received date if it was not visibly stamped on the document. Recent litigation has refined this understanding, and that is no longer valid.

In reviewing the system (all implementations) from a higher level, in short we  find gaps in this edict that Documents With A Received Date Have A Visible Receive Date Stamped Onto The Document. 

In addition, we have seen a myriad of complications when various file types are imported. (.zip, .xlsx, .docx, etc.) that sometimes trip up in processing and as it stands cannot be stamped in this way. Also, HUGE pdfs are an issue -- think 8000 page color document saved without PDF optimization. HUGE file sizes. 

We are researching and working on requirements for an approach that is more wholistic way. Initial spitball ideas are to import only PDF files (which begs how do we convert any doc type, as Workflow only handles TIF>PDF) and directing anything needing a date stamp (determined by presence of Received Date keyword value) into a separate life cycle that handles this task only. 

I know this is a HUGE playing field. But as we dig around and try to envision a solution, I want to hear voices outside of my own team. We're pretty smart, but I know we aren't the only ones to tackle these issues and am curious what others have done (and would recommend, or not do again!), etc. 

Our repository has 114,585,501 docs and grew 9,490,111in the past year. 

2 REPLIES 2

Melissa_Foster
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

@Amy Young-Leith , when you upgrade, you can restrict the file types that are allowed for a Document Type: https://support.hyland.com/r/OnBase/System-Administration-On-Premises/English/Foundation-22.1/On-Pre...

Does the document image have to be burned with the information, or could watermarks or overlays help? 

To convert documents, there is a PDF framework license that can be purchased and then triggered via workflow: https://support.hyland.com/r/OnBase/Workflow/English/Foundation-22.1/Workflow/Studio-Workflow-Action...

Personally, I would probably subscribe the documents to workflow, use the PDF framework license to flip the file type if needed.  Then, burn the date received in a header via a unity script (if it's possible - I'm not a developer) while the document is in workflow.

Amy_Young-Leith
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thank you, Melissa. 

The received date stamp needs to become a part of the document so that it shows in the viewer, and also remains on the document if sent digitally or printed. We're using exactly the method you mention to do this on scanned/indexed documents (paper that comes into the building, scanned, etc.). 

We also use Print to Hyland virtual print driver more and more for those file types we don't want in OnBase, but we are still finding people putting these in, so restricting that may indeed be a choice we make. I've also used the convert to PDF in workflow, too. 

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.