cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Printer Preferences for VPD

Roger_Linhart
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Has anyone come up with a solution to manage the printer preferences of the VPD driver? I ask because one of my admins called yesterday and asked me to check out a document that was imported via VPD. It was a color .tif at 600 DPI and 24 bit color depth and near 50 Mb in size. I would like to be able to manage the default settings at installation and manage settings so users would not be able to override if we so choose.

I'm familiar with how I would do this for a network printer on a print server but not so much for a local printer and/or the VPD.

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

we haven't identified a reliable way to limit to resolution of the printer. Part of the challenge is based  OS features and  how the printer is deployed, some applications might disregard the "default" resolution and print at its' maximum.

Once the document has been printed at a high resolution,i.e. 600 DPI, we could convert it to 200DPI before raising the event but that would be

1) memory consuming , the right thing would be to use it a 200 DPI

2) time consuming.

We have tinkered with the idea of producing a 'dpi' limited version of the driver..so the 600DPI would not be available to end-users..which would eliminate the above situations at the source....but bit more difficult to administer because you would have to install the correct driver..

Luke_Augur
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Roger-

I'm experiencing the exact same issues with a customer that recently upgraded to Windows 7 and it doesn't seem the OS respects the changes, which means the customer is printing 50MB+ color images.  Just putting in another plug to see this implemented.

Thanks!

Luke

Jeffrey_Will
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

You can use the Image Processing feature in the Scan Queue Configuration to convert the image to monochrome and change the resolution.  Though that only works if you use VPD to send the docs through a scan queue without the Print Monitor.  

We send almost all our VPD docs through a scan queue rather than use the Import dialogue because we have Advanced Capture (Auto Indexing).  It eliminates user indexing errors, frees up front office staff from keying, and gives us more control over things like document color and resolution.

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.