cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Keyword Barcodes be on the last page of a document

Not applicable

I have reports that are created with barcodes on the last page. I want to scan the reports, appending all pages until I get to the barcoded page whcih will define the keywords and define the end of the document. So far I can't find a set of configuration options which will allow that. Either the barcodes have to be on the first page or on all pages. Does anyone know of a way to use the keywords to separate the reports into individual documents with the barcode page being appended to the pages that went before it?

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

You could accomplish this using a VB script tied to the barcode...the script could do the following:

(you'll need to turn off the settings for "keyword barcode indicates new document" and turn off the "unique barcode keyword match" settings because this approach doesn't need that)

-----

1. Get the current value for this barcode

2. Get the previous value for the barcode (from the last page read) out of the property bag, or if there is no value in the property bag, then we must be on the first page

3. Compare them, if the same then do nothing (so the client won't make any changes and keep this page as part of the same document)

4. If different, then we must start a new document, so call Barcode.DocumentTypeName = "hardcoded doc type name" and Barcode.SetKeywordByName "keyword type name", barcodevalue

5. Update the value in the property bag to the current barcode value, so on the next page we can start the test over again

---

Refer to the document imaging MRG for info on how to assign a VB script to a barcode, and the OnBase SDK can be helpful for how additional info on writing the script if you need that.

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Joe.

Thanks for the post.

At this time, the functionality which you request is not part of the software.  SCR: #127969 documents the enhancement.  I added your account to the request.

As for a workaround, it might be possible to create a VB Script and run it as a VB Script Hook | Post-Scan (ie Config | Queries | VB Script Hooks) to parse the document, identify the bar code sheets, move the bar code sheet to the beginning of the document and then proceed with bar code recognition.  If this was the process that you were looking for, you might have to use the Bar Code Recognition Server in order to perform barcoding after scanning.

Hope this helps.

Jay_MacVean
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Oddly enough the NSI Autostore integratraion works this way.  The barcode recognition NSI does in a batch automatically reads the last page for a barcode and breaks the document backwards.  In many ways the NSI Autostore product is more flexible that PDI. But, there are some negatives too like not having complete batch control inside OnBase.  But, to your question, you can have the barcode show up at any point in the batch as long as its consistent.

Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. Neither of these solutions will work, though.

My approach will be to have barcodes on every page. I'm having troubole getting it to work, though. Here's the situation:

Multi-page documents are impoted using SWEEP. The pages all have a set of barcodes. I want the multi-page document to be split into separate documents when the barcode values change and all pages with the same barcode values to be appended to one another.The document type is fixed.

• I set the barcode process to load keywords from barcodes and checked the "Keyword bad code indicates new document" option.
  • I set the scan queue capture option "Unique Bar Code Keyword Match" to "Append Page Only".

The result is that each barcoded page becomes its own document even though the keyword values on consecutive pages are identical.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You could accomplish this using a VB script tied to the barcode...the script could do the following:

(you'll need to turn off the settings for "keyword barcode indicates new document" and turn off the "unique barcode keyword match" settings because this approach doesn't need that)

-----

1. Get the current value for this barcode

2. Get the previous value for the barcode (from the last page read) out of the property bag, or if there is no value in the property bag, then we must be on the first page

3. Compare them, if the same then do nothing (so the client won't make any changes and keep this page as part of the same document)

4. If different, then we must start a new document, so call Barcode.DocumentTypeName = "hardcoded doc type name" and Barcode.SetKeywordByName "keyword type name", barcodevalue

5. Update the value in the property bag to the current barcode value, so on the next page we can start the test over again

---

Refer to the document imaging MRG for info on how to assign a VB script to a barcode, and the OnBase SDK can be helpful for how additional info on writing the script if you need that.