cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web BLOB pass-through and document corrections

Joel_Fabrey
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hello, we are looking at implementing the web BLOB pass through. The MRG says that 

Epic will remain the source of document corrections for Web BLOB Pass-through documents. With this integration, documents that are routed from the Epic BLOB will be editable in Epic and read-only in OnBase. This means document corrections are triggered through Epic and registered within OnBase

Does this mean that the healthcare corrections process needs to also be implemented so these docs can be corrected? We want to allow docs to come in through epic but they go through substantial workflow processes that may change keywords and even document types - will this no longer be possible of they come from the BLOB?

thanks,

Joel

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Julia_Tabaj
Employee
Employee

Hi Joel, 

Any Web BLOB Pass-through document in OnBase is locked down. OnBase cannot edit the image or the keywords for that document. Because of that, any correction needs to take place through Epic's processes. If a clinician ends up sending a WBP document to document corrections through the Healthcare Corrections button, the current workflow your organization uses for managing corrections should be edited to filter these documents into their own queue. That queue can then be used a list to login to Epic and fix. Ideally though, the clinicians would continue using whatever process they have in Epic to fix those documents. In general, these documents are opened from the single document links using Epic's viewer - which will not have the OnBase Healthcare Corrections button. But if they open them in OPW, they could send it to workflow that way - which is why we would want to have the queue. 

Thanks

Julia

View answer in original post

11 REPLIES 11

That does help, yes. However, we were told that when you go to store a document that is supposed to be stored in the BLOB server, it redirects the storage of that document in OnBase instead. As well, we were also told that when a document is viewed that is currently stored in the BLOB server, then  a copy of that document would be stored in OnBase and the primary document retrieved going forward would be OnBase.

If that is the case, then when is Hyland going to have a solution for all historical documents stored in the Epic BLOB server and transferring them to OnBase?

When Epic scans in a document, it functions as it does today with the document going to the BLOB. What Web BLOB Pass-through does is enable the BLOB to say "Nope we don't store that here. It goes in OnBase. Let me send it to them via a FHIR Web Service." There is actually a setting in Epic that determines how long before the BLOB deletes the document, so for a time it could exist in both the BLOB and in OnBase. 

"we were also told that when a document is viewed that is currently stored in the BLOB server, then  a copy of that document would be stored in OnBase and the primary document retrieved going forward would be OnBase." This I would need to confirm with Epic, as I don't recall the specifics of one off conversions like this. 

That said, Epic has an optimization plan to include a historical conversion tool that would update all of the Epic records to enable WBP and send OnBase the files. Right now the only way to move documents off of the BLOB that already exist there is a conversion. 

@Julia Tabaj ,

That is fantastic to hear. Thank you for clarifying that for me and getting me those details. I definitely do look forward to hearing back regarding the viewing of the documents means it moves them to OnBase.

Lastly, when you say that Epic is working on a way to do historical files, can you elaborate more on this? Are there any details on a potential ETA when they think this type of functionality might be up and running? And when you say the only other options is a conversion, can you elaborate on this? I am definitely curious to know more about this options. 🙂

Thanks.

Hi Ryan, I have more information. 

Directly from Epic development - "The act of viewing cannot trigger a pass-though, only the act of saving to the BLOB. There is no historic back fill, so only newly saved documents after WBP is set up are eligible to pass-through."

There are currently no specific details or timeline for enhancements of Web BLOB Pass-through. One of the things that was pushed out of the initial release was some sort of historical conversion tool, but there has been no official commitment that Epic will include this in a phase two of WBP. If this is something you are interested in, let them know! 

When I mention a conversion, I mean a full on conversion through Hyland's Conversion Services team. If you want more information on what that would look like I would reach out to your Hyland Account Executive. 

Thanks!

Julia

Thank you Julia. I greatly appreciate you finding out these additional details surrounding the Web BLOB Passthrough. They are very helpful.

Thanks.