cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update MPI from any message if it finds matching MRN

Sachin_Gandhi
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

MPI 789 does not exist in the system yet.

If there is a record in OnBase with MPI=123 and MPI=999 and if the MPI needs to be updated to 789 with the same MRN, what message type should sent?

Is there a configuration in the import process that will update the MPI if matching MRN is found with any ADT message?

Will A34 with PID values of MPI=789 and MRN=123 and MRG segment with MPI=999, change the MPI number in the system and make the active record as MRN=123 and MPI=789?

Is there a different message that needs to be sent to update the MPI number?

3 REPLIES 3

Aaron_Truskot
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Sachin, 

If I'm following along correctly, then what you are looking to perform is an ID change (also referred to as a "rename" in OnBase documentation) of the MPI identifier.   This is typically an A18, A34, or A40 but OnBase can be configured to perform the ID change from any event type that triggers the Medical Records Chart processor with the Merge option enabled and has the source (old) MPI in the MRG segment and target (new) MPI in the PID segment.  

In your example, playing that message should perform the ID change as expected.  Although I would suggest that you do not include the target MRN in the PID segment a list of MRNs is not required to perform an MPI merge. 

If you are still struggling to perform this operation then I would suggest contacting your first line of support. Additionally, note that I'm assuming that you are attempting to perform this operation on a recent version of OnBase and that you are attempting to update our Medical Records.  If your patient records are only stored as AutoFill Keyword Sets then different configuration would be required. 

Regards,

Aaron

Sachin_Gandhi
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi Aaron,

The sending system is not sending the merge messages. The expectation is to update the MPI from any message type (like A01, A04, A05, A08) to updated the MPI for the matching MRN.

Can the import process be configured to updated that outside of the merge messages?

This is in OnBase v17. The patients are created through ADT interface which updates the AKS.

The issue here is that when sending system assigns a new MPI to a patient, it does not send the merge message. But will send subsequent messages like A01, A04, A05 etc. with the new MPI number, which is causing the issue.

Aaron_Truskot
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Sachin, 

This might be a question that is better addressed through a small services engagement. However, I can try to provide a little more guidance based on your latest comments. 

Typically, we would expect merge messages to be sent to OnBase. However, it might be possible for you to manage without those requests. 

• If you have an AFKS table with a primary of MPI, you need merge messages to perform the required operation. You'll need a message with the source (original) MPI in the MRG segment and the desired (target) MPI in the PID segment or some other segment (that isn't MSH or MRG). 

• If your only patient level AFKS has a primary of MRN then you can potentially just treat these MPI ID changes as updates to your MRN-level AFKS.  This approach would just treat the operation as an update to a secondary keyword value.  Note that this solution is not ideal in that you will need one update message per MRN that is linked to the MPI that is being update. (So if there are 5 MRNs linked to the MPI, you'll need an update for each of the 5 MRNs in 5 unique messages.) 

There are a number of variables to account for in patient management solutions.  If desired, your account manager may be able to arrange for an in-depth review and consultation.  

Thanks,

Aaron