cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Scanners

Dan_Harbinson
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Has anyone deployed any of the small footprint card scanners for use with the epic/onbase integrated scanning right from hyperspace? We've had pretty good luck with our Fujitsu document scanners but I've been asked to eval an Ambir DS687 card scanner with the ad-hoc, document level scanning for purposes of capturing insurance cards, picture IDs, etc and have come across several things that might prevent deployment of this scanner.  For example, when using the Ambir TWAIN driver, in more cases than not, the focus does not return to the scan acquisition control (to complete indexing) after acquiring an image. It's like the TWAIN interface is waiting for some sort of response but the UI is not available that I can find.  I also looked at using the WIA implementation for this device; WIA does not have the issue of not returning to the scan control but, as expected, has other issues (no way to leverage the duplex feature of the device).

I've not given up on the DS687 yet but was just wondering if others may have successfully deployed card scanners and see if anyone would care to offer up some makes/models.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Not applicable

Dan,

We are using both Ambir DS487 and DS687 and I have not heard any issues with either of them as you are experiencing. I have access to a DS687, so I will do some testing to see if I have the same issue.

Robbie

Dan_Harbinson
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Thanks Robbie.  It doesn’t seem to happen all of the time but more often than not.  When the card goes thru the scanner, focus seems to go back to the Scan Control dialog box but not all of the objects/controls in the Scan Control are accessible so the document can’t be indexed/saved.  The one object/control that is accessible is the drop-down for the scan source; I’ve observed that clicking this button (to bring up the list of scan sources) then cancelling out of that list will then enable the previously inaccessible objects so that the document can be indexed.  Very odd.  I’d be interested in anything you discover.

Not applicable

My mistake on the models... We are using Ambir PS667 (ID Scanner) and PS487 (ID/Document Scanner). I have tested with both this morning and I have no issues. We are running OnBase 13.0.1.81 and Epic 2012. Our workstations are Windows 7.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but on the workstation I only installed the drivers for the scanner, I did not install the AmbirScan Software.

Robbie

Dan_Harbinson
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Actually you identified a couple of very likely components that may be contributing to what I see.  My organization always lags behind everyone else.  Smile We are running Epic 2012 but are still running XP at the desktop and still running onbase 9.2x.  An update to either of these may produce different results.  Thanks for the information!