cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the Default File Format for documents after the documents have been imported?

Larry_Henry
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

We have a Document Type that has a Default File Format of Text Report Format but the documents that were imported to this doc type are PDFs. Now when trying to retrieve the documents, all that shows is the imbedded PDF data and displays as text.

We need to have the default file format on these documents changed to PDF.

I looked at doing this in a workflow using re-index but there is no option to change the default file format.

The only way we seem to be able to do this is to manually re-index the document changing the default file format to PDF. However, there are too many documents for this option to be practical.

We are on EP3.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Larry

3 REPLIES 3

Sean_Killian
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

If you do reindex a document from text to PDF, can you successfully open it afterward?  If so, if you or anyone else at your organization is API-certified, you should be able to write a Unity script that reindexes the current document's file type from Text to PDF and then send all these documents into a workflow that runs the Unity script.  If not, I think you probably have to reach out to your first line of support to have them do it.

Hi Sean,

Yes after the re-index we can open the document as a PDF. Unfortunately we do not have anyone here that is API-certified.

Thanks,

Larry

Can you delete the documents and re-import them with the proper file type?  If not, I think you'll need Hyland to update the database to change the file types to PDF.