cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Composition Workflow Timing Issues?

Brian_Bartolazo
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

We are having a workflow issue that I suspect may be around document composition.

Our scenario is this:

User clicks an Ad Hoc Task Button, this then calls the Compose Document action to create it via Synchronous Processing. The next workflow action after that is to print the document. So, the next workflow step should not occur until the document completes since it is set to synchronous processing.

This all worked perfectly fine.

We then needed to set the template to "Always show Preview before archiving" as users needed to add some variable information before saving it. Once we did that, whenever users would enter the data into the prompted template and click "Accept," we would frequently see that nothing was sent to the printer. Almost a 50% chance.

What I've seen when we have this preview before creating the document, upon clicking Accept, it switches back to the OnBase client with the upload dialog box. The workflow action is still set to Synchronous Processing even though we are allowing them to make changes before accepting.

My question is, is it still guaranteed that the workflow actions will not continue until that upload is complete? My theory is if it doesn't wait until that upload is done when doing it through this scenario, that the workflow action is continuing on to the print step, but if the upload didn't complete, it would be trying to print nothing -- which would result in nothing in the printer queue.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Gregory_Roche2
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hope this helps a little...  We do something similar..

1. Action - Generate The DocComp Document

2. Action - Display The Document

3. Rule - Ask the user to inspected the rendered document (Yes or No) is it OK

True -  Email out the document, set a bunch of keywords, reindex the document, send to another WF Queue

False - Delete the document

Thanks Greg, did you run into a similar issue as far as timing? Or did you add those steps after the doc comp out of requirements?

I had odd issues as well and experimented with a lot of different steps. This has been working for us for almost 2 years and gets used every day. These are my Compose Document Settings which I experimented with as well:

Use Automated Document Generation checked
Synchronous Processing checked
Override Template Settings

Forced Document Type
Inherit KW
Disable Import Dialog