cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doc Comp: Placeholders mapped to WV Attributes never meet Blank Condition?

Rick_Stuckey
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

GOAL: Have a Placeholder insert default text if/when a particular WV Attribute is BLANK.

SETUP:

• Placeholder type is Metadata and mapped to a WV attribute (call it LastName).
  • Placeholder includes a condition that check for Placeholder value is Blank (this uses the preconfigured Blank Condition).
    • When that condition is True (i.e. blank), it is supposed to Insert Text that says "PLACE HOLDER IS BLANK".
    • Otherwise it should insert the value from the WV Attribute.

RESULTS:

When I populate the LastName WV attribute, that value appears on the composed doc.

When I clear the LastName WV attribute (and save of course), nothing appears on composed doc. Not my default text. Not a space. Nothing.

Note: I've also tested: using an attribute/field that has never been populated and using fields tied to a data set vs fields that are not tied to data sets. All have same results.

QUESTIONS:

Am I missing something?

Has anyone else seen this?

Any workarounds/suggestions?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Jordan_Polaniec
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi Rick,

If you compose this Template in MS Word using Composition Preview, are the Blank conditions executed on the configured WorkView Attribute placeholders? 

Thank you,

Jordan Polaniec

Rick_Stuckey
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Thanks for the response ...

Yes. If I compose from Word (where I cannot pick a source doc because it is WV), then the text associated with my Blank condition is included in the composed doc.

Also, looking at the database. The value is NULL.

Jordan_Polaniec
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello Rick,

SCR 159361 has been created to address this issue.  If you would like to be attached to it don't hesitate to call your first line of support and they will take care of it for you.

Thank you,

Jordan Polaniec

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

Have you considered setting the Attribute value to have a Default String of upon creation?